Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cheeky (Chicken) Monkey plays Guerilla!

(Click above image for a complete list of Global Guerilla Knit Up Participants)

Thanks to the gentle prodding of both my Getaway Driver (UberSpouse) and Lookout (Critter Child), my contribution to the Global Guerilla Knit Up went up! Yes, I waited till it was dark and was fairly certain that the number of human encounters would be limited ... but, it is officially on display.

After much deliberation (and the realization that it would only fit around a standard handrail sized item ... measuring makes A LOT of sense), I chose this most wonderful centrally located young tree in Gilchrist Park. It only took about 20 minutes to stitch it in place.

Here's the quick snap from last night:


Gilchrist Park is located right on the Peace River (appropriate, don't you think?) and is just walking minutes from downtown Punta Gorda (think more small town and not metropolis). The park gets tons of traffic throughout any given day as there's a terrific playground, tennis courts, covered pavillions, picnic tables with small grills, a dock, flower beds, live oaks, a monument of Ponce De Leon and meandering sidewalks.

Oh! and now it boasts this:




I have to admit that I think this is the best dressed tree in the park.

Check out the pole behind and to the right of the tree - the one with the duck at the top.

Here's a close up:


This pole is actually a utility outlet (note the small bulge near the top left of the pole). How cool is that? There are a number of places throughout the park that have outlets available (though this one really is the coolest by far) for the public to use. They come in handy during town sponsored events and on most Thursday nights when musicians gather to play. It's pretty neat as there are usually a few main gatherings where anyone is welcome to come sit in, plus scatterings of small drum circles and the like.
Here's a detail of the knit up:


Look to the left of the tree (between it and the palm tree) and you'll see the Ponce De Leon monument. (Items in the picture are much closer than they appear.) Check this out ... if people visiting the park pay attention, they'll see that Ponce is pointing right at the little tree:


OK, that's not really true - he actually points a bit east of the little tree, but for sake of this post, I chose to express a little artistic license (I just liked this shot of Ponce with the Gull on his head).

And one last shot of the tree:

This shot was taken near ground level pointing up towards the top ... doesn't it look HUGE?!?

The image really expresses how monumental this whole experience has been for me. It was wonderful taking part in an international festival of guerilla fiber art. I recycled left over bits, crocheted, knotted and pushed myself outside of my comfort zone to participate with many inspirational and creative artists from all walks of life. I like this feeling of being part of something bigger than myself and at the same time recognize how small the world really is. It has been such an honor taking part in the Global Guerilla Knit up (not to mention TONS of fun). I humbly and most sincerely express my gratitude to Grrl for throwing down the gauntlet and challenging us to do it ... and for holding our hands along the way.

It is my hope that people all around the world may look upon these offerings and be inspired ... or ... simply smile.


(2/28 - update ... it's gone ... hmmm)

43 comments:

Unknown said...

Ponce de leon was most DEFINITELY pointing at your tree post, the best dressed in the park without a doubt; what a wonderful project ot be a part of x

Crafted by Bairbre Aine said...

Bravo! Well done indeed.
What inspiration and in such a lovely spot.
Kudos to you my friend!
Cheers~

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful adventure...and perfect knit up! I love that you chose a beautiful and popular location...and there's your piece smiling big in the middle of it all:)
Way to go, girl! hugs:)

lynne h said...

i LOVE this, michelle!!! big, big grin on my face as i gaze at your tree! oh my, this is so happy making, isn't it? : ) xxoo

Nikki Lee Anne Ghilain said...

You did it! Wooohooo for you!....it looks great and what a wonderful place to pick! Just finished putting mine up and will post pics later....this has been such a blast to participate in....not to mention all the fun people involved...like you!

Cat said...

I think the naked trees will be so jealous now!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwww....
I've gone all goofy over that... thankyou Ms. Muse.

You did brave your own fears to create something amazing and enduring. Something peole will stop to wonder, children will touch, and hopefully dogs wont pee on.

Also wonderful you gave the directions for others to visit too.

martha brown said...

Of course this is the best dressed tree in the park! congratulations for getting it up -- having some partners in crime :) really helps one's confidence, doesn't it??? I was lazy -- my park is just across the street!(but I still brought a helper) I can see my knit up from my window. And it was too cold for nosy neighbours to come out to see what I was doing (I just bought my house last year, they don't know that I'm crazy yet)

manda said...

I just love love love the duck on the utility pole!! Are other ducks attracted? lol The knitted tree um...what are they called? Well they'd be no use here in Aus as it's too hot!! All year round, the trees are in flower, as it's not winter in winter, but spring! lol

3rdEyeMuse said...

thanks, Dawn, for squinting your eyes just right.

Bairbre Aine ... does this mean it's your turn?!?

thanks, Marilyn. I had intended to put it up at the center of an ugle parking lot (not far from work), but didn't do any measuring and didn't realize just how small my knit up was/is ... since that wasn't a go, I did pick a place I find beautiful.

it is happy making Lynne. It REALLY is (I'm thinking I need to measure that parking lot light post).

Cool, Nikki ... I can't wait to see your photo's!!

giggles, Cat, serious fits of giggles.

Grrl ... say it isn't so! goofy, eh. I'm flattered. lol - I'm glad more people joined in.

Martha, I would have done that, too, but unfortunately there isn't a park across the street. :)

I live in Florida, mandapanda, so really cold weather is super rare ... my excuse is that the yearn breathes. :)

Corrine said...

That's so cool. Well done, and your best dressed tree looks amazing.

Janet said...

OMG! You did it! And it looks utterly fantastic :-) I think this is a great idea, more folks should dress up trees :-)

Anonymous said...

That tree looks like it's preening a bit, all decked out in it's new finery. Like, it's saying "Look at my FINE new threads!"

And OF COURSE Ponce de Leon is pointing out the parks new look. ;-)

Kate

Unknown said...

I am bowing to ALL of you in this VERY cool project!!

Acts of random ART...I hope you have all inspired MORE guerilla ART!!

Sacred Yoli said...

Yay, you did it! I agree, that tree puts all the other trees to shame!

How much fun did you have? You are so awesome!

Chris said...

Michelle! What a great post. So expressive and inspiring. You did a great job of summing up the thrill of the challenge. I'm really glad you had the bravery to do it, I know it was scary. I was reading this and smiling ear to ear and someone came into my office and thought I was kinda nuts because they can't see my monitor.

I think your tree is quite handsome and regal. No wonder Ponce loves it!

Cathie said...

I'm smiling "simply." You are an amazing artist - and a beacon of inspiration! Silly girl.
XO

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

YOU DID IT!!!! BRAVO my friend, and what a place you picked! So how much did you really have? heheheh

LOVE IT and you did an amazing job on your KNIT UP!
Cheers

Danielle said...

Woo hoo - way to go!

The best dressed tree for sure :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

You did it!!! I love the placement and the story, I bet your heart was pounding :)

bindu said...

It's great! Good job. Have you been back to see people's reactions? I'd be so curious!

3rdEyeMuse said...

I mentioned to someone earlier that putting it up made me feel twelve again - in a good way - excited about something and giggly over it.

Oh yeah, I'll try something like this again (infact I am trying to convince my MIL to go in cahoots with me for something spectacular! - in my mind at least).

and Bindu ... when I went back to take the pictures, people didn't seem to notice it at all ... I wanted to go back today, but feel a bit like a tree stalker ... I'll check in on it now and again. :)

Gail Lackey said...

Wow.. how cool!! I love this idea!I can see how proud you made that little tree feel with the new cozy get up!I'm sure theres a big smile amongst the leaves!
Happy hauntings, Gail

Anonymous said...

Ponce looks chilly.......hmm.....

Lovely tree!! I love how the knitting is sewn up the bend. Perfect!!

Seth said...

Well done!! This looks like the perfect park and definitely the perfect tree. Loving your wrap and I am sure every person going by loves it too!!

RosieK said...

Great tree hugging with knitting!! I took part too and echo all your words - grrl has been magnificent!!

Anonymous said...

wonderful lovely Muse - you have inspired me...

xox - eb.

girlgonethreadwild said...

o my god!

YOU DID IT!

I missed the train,
but fortunately GRRL informed me THESE things still exist in the next world.

I'm catching up soon!

course it's raining, and, and...

(push me)

I want to be brave like YOU.
xo, me :)

girlgonethreadwild said...

you know, had to come back to tell you..

funny thing,

was walking in woods near my home and SPOTTED the tree where I hung pink artist WINNERS ! Remember? Counted at least ten names that were still there... LOL

After all this time.

Too kuhl.

Cindy said...

Well, that's just cool! I love it! And yep, for sure, best dressed tree indeed!

c

jafabrit said...

I think yes, there is something special about being part of a larger group all over the world,all working on the same goal. Love the tree you chose.

Anonymous said...

Oh, awesome!!! I can just picture you three out there while you knitted it into place! =) You are so brave - I wish I had known about this - what great fun!! Although, the hardest part for me would be taking it out to a public place and setting it in place...

Lea said...

You are the second knitted tree I've stumbled upon today!!! Isn't that cool! Happy trees all over, I love it!

Also loved seeing some of your way cool park! Here is Leslie's Gorrila Tree, wrapped in pure joy, like yours!

http://snipsandsnailsandpuppydogtails-leslie.blogspot.com/2009/02/guerilla-knitting.html

Maggie R said...

What a great place.. and I love the threads on the tree!!;-}
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Pursuing Art... said...

You *Brave* Guerilla Girl!

What fun!!! Wishing I would have joined in. The tree cozy is beautiful and that tree is looking so proud and honored to be wrapped in love. It will definitely make people smile!!!

The park is awesome. You picked a beautiful spot and it's on the Peace River...if that isn't totally perfect!

I would love to be a part of the Global Guerilla Knit Up next year!

Still a chimp *sigh*...~Lisa ;-)

P.S. Is it still there? It would be fun to take some pictures of people passing by, needing to touch it, and catch their smiles! ~wink~

Leslie said...

What a wonderful location for your beautiful knit-up! I just know that it will make everyone passing by there smile.

Misty's Creations said...

hey, congrates on winning, any place is great! We,ve had some family things happening so I have gotten on to post a pic or two and then I'm gone! Your hearts are really beautiful! I'm always cheered up when I read your comments. Have a great evening!
Misty

Unknown said...

Your knit up turned out great. Did you leave some kind of note on the knitting?

Also, congrats on 3rd place for the anti-valentine project. I almost participated.

Karla

ArtPropelled said...

There's nothing nicer than a stripey tree in the dark....er..park. Well done Michelle. You're braver than me.

ArtSparker said...

The black and white combo is particularly sophisticated - and what a great site.

Jamie Lott said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed this post! I can just picture you with butterflies in your tummy like when you toilet papered someone's trees as a teenager. Least that's how I'd have felt. Only this tree got clothes - and mighty nice clothes at that - instead of a head full of toilet paper hair.

I might have to learn to knit. I never knew it could be that much fun!

Our Hands For Hope said...

You brave brave girl. I'm amazed how quickly they are being removed. So sad.

small grills said...

Hey thanks for this thoroughly entertaining post. Studded with beautiful pics. Cheerz.